Sexual cycle in Females: Menstruation
- An egg is released from either of the ovaries every 28 days. The unfertilized egg is alive for 24 hours after ovulation. Uterus prepares itself to receive the foetus. As a result, the Endometrium thickens.
- If fertilization doesn’t take place, then no zygote is formed. Therefore, endometrium breaks which results in bleeding through vagina.
- Process of bleeding though vagina due to breakage of endometrium is termed as ‘Menstruation’. This bleeding lasts for 2-6 days. This occurs approx. 14 days after ovulation.
- Since Menstruation occurs every 28 days; this is also referred as Menstrual cycle
- Menstrual cycle in a woman continues till 45-55 years of age, post which ovary becomes dormant. No ovulation, no menstruation occurs after this. This is termed as “Menopause”