Electricity and a few terminologies
Electricityis a controllable form of energy used to run a variety of electrical and electronic equipment like fan, bulb, tv, radio etc.
- Electrical appliances convert the electricity directly into heat, light or motion whereas electronic appliances have micro-chips that take electricity and convert it into endless useful things (display picture on TV, play songs on radio etc.) and not just simple heat, light or motion.
- When electric charge flows through a conductor (like a metallic wire), it is said that the conductor has electric current.
- Electric current, generated by cells or batteries inside a torch, makes the torch glow.
- A switch is a conducting path between cells and the bulb. An ON switch makes the bulb glow whereas an OFF switch puts it in non-glowing state.
- An electric circuit is a complete and continuous path for electric current. Current does not flow when the path is broken. A switch makes and breaks the circuit inside a torch.