Resistors in series
When two or more resistors are connected in series:
- The current through the circuit remains the same.
- The potential difference becomes sum of the individual potential difference across each resistor.
- Equivalent resistance of the circuit is the sum of individual resistances.
Disadvantages of series arrangement of resistors
- Two different electrical appliances, having different current requirements, cannot be connected in series as the current is constant in a series circuit.
- If one of the components fails in a series circuit, the circuit gets broken and none of the other components get the current.