Resistors in parallel
When two or more resistors are connected in parallel:
- The current through the circuit is the sum of currents through each branch of the circuit.
- The potential difference across the two points of the circuit remains the same.
- The reciprocal of equivalent resistance of the circuit is the sum of reciprocal of the individual resistances.
Advantages of parallel arrangement of resistors
- Parallel arrangement divides current in different branches and hence each component receives the required amount of current.
- If one of the components fails in the parallel circuit, the rest work as usual.