- They are marine animals with streamlined body and have cartilaginous endoskeleton.
- Notochord is persistent throughout life and separated gill slits are without operculum.
- The skin is tough, containing minute placoid scales.
- Some of them have electric organs, such as Torpedo and some possess poison sting such as Trygon.
- They are cold-blooded (poikilothermous) animals.
- Sexes are separate, fertilizationis internal and they are mostly viviparous.
Examples-Scoliodon (Dog fish), Pristis (Saw fish).
Fig. Saw fish