- Located in bony cavity called sella tursica and attached to hypothalamus by a stalk.
- Over secretion of GH stimulates abnormal growth of the body – Gigantism.
- Low secretion of GH results in stunted growth – Dwarfism
- Prolactin regulates the growth of mammary glands and formation of milk in them.
- TSH stimulates the synthesis and secretion of thyroid hormones from thyroid gland.
- ACTH stimulates the synthesis and secretion of steroid hormone (glucocorticoids) from adrenal cortex.
- LH and FSH stimulate gonadal activity.
- MSH acts on the melanocytes and regulates pigmentation of the skin.
- Oxytocin acts on smooth muscles of our body and stimulates their contraction.
- Vasopressin acts on kidneys and stimulates resorption of water and electrolytes by distal tubules and hence reduces loss of water through urine. So, it is also called as ADH.
Pic shows Pineal and Pituitary gland.