- Pair of ovaries located in abdomen
- Primary female sex organ which produce one ovum during each menstrual cycle.
- Produces two group of steroids – estrogen and progesterone
- Structure – ovarian follicles and stromal tissues
- Estrogen is secreted by growing ovarian follicles. After ovulation, ruptured follicle is converted to corpus luteum (secretes progesterone).
- Estrogen – stimulates growth and activities of female secondary sex organs, development of growing ovarian follicles, appearance of female secondary sex characters, mammary gland development.
- Progesterone – supports pregnancy, acts on mammary glands and stimulates formation of alveoli and milk secretion.
Pic shows Endocrine glands