Conditions for growth
- Water, oxygen and nutrients are very essential elements for growth.
- Water helps the plant cells to grow in size by cell enlargement and provides the medium for enzymatic activities needed for growth.
- Oxygen helps in releasing metabolic energy essential for growth activities.
- Macro and micro essential elements are required by plants for the synthesis of protoplasm and act as source of energy.
- In addition, an optimum temperature range and environmental signals affect certain phases/stages of growth.
Fig. Essential elements of plant growth