- Fermentation is the incomplete oxidation of glucose under anaerobic conditions by sets of reactions.
- Fermentation is of two types
- Alcohol fermentation
- Lactic acid fermentation.
- In alcohol fermentation, pyruvic acid is converted to CO2 and ethanol by pyruvic acid decarboxylase and alcohol dehydrogenase.
Glucose -> 2 Ethyl alcohol + 2NADH2 + 2ATP
- In lactic acid fermentation, lactic acid is produced from pyruvic acid by lactate dehydrogenase.
Glucose -> 2 Lactic acid + 2 ATP.
- In eukaryotes, these steps take place within the mitochondria and this requires O2.
Fig. Lactic acid dehydrogenase