Transpiration and photosynthesis
- creates transpiration pull for absorption and transport of plants
- supplies water for photosynthesis
- transports minerals from the soil to all parts of the plant
- cools leaf surfaces
- maintains the shape and structure of the plants by keeping cells turgid.
- Photosynthesis is limited by available water, which can be swiftly depleted by transpiration.
- The evolution of the C4 photosynthetic system maximises the availability of CO2 while minimising water loss.
Fig. Transpiration and photosynthesis