Role of chemistry in different spheres of life
What is Chemistry?
- Chemistry is the science of atoms, molecules and their transformations.
- It can also be defined as that branch of science that deals with the study of the composition, properties and interaction of matter.
- Knowledge of chemistry helps us to know:-
- The properties of different substances like diamond, coal, plastics etc.
- In preparation of soaps like liquid or powder.
- The fabrics, plastic toys, paper, pencil, eraser, sugar cubes, petrol or diesel etc.
- In the manufacture of different types of fertilizers, pesticides and medicines.
- Answers to questions regarding how many atoms or molecules are there in a given mass of matter.
Chemistry helps us to answer the following questions:-
- To count the number of atoms and molecules in a given mass of matter?
- How to see the atoms and molecules?
Advantages of studying chemistry
- With a better understanding of chemical principles it has now become possible to design and synthesise new materials having specific magnetic, electric and optical properties.
- Safer alternatives to environmentally hazardous refrigerants like CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons), responsible for ozone depletion in the stratosphere, have been successfully synthesised.
Problems which can be tackled with the study of chemistry:-
- Management of Green House gases like methane, carbon dioxide etc.
- Understanding of bio-chemical processes, use of enzymes for large-scale production of chemicals and synthesis of new exotic materials are some of the intellectual challenges for the future generation of chemists.
- Understanding of bio-chemical processes, use of enzymes for large-scale production of chemicals.