RULES FOR NAMING ORGANIC COMPOUND WITH FUNCTIONAL GROUP
- Select longest chain containing functional group.
- Numbering is done in such a way that Carbon atom with functional group gets lowest number.
- Rules for naming substituent are same.
- The 2 or more functional groups are indicated by di, tri etc.
- While numbering the preference is given as: -
Functional Group > Double Bond> Triple Bond> Side Chain
- If different functional groups are present that preference for considering main functional group is give as shown:
COOH > ester> acid halide> amide>CN>CHO>C>OH>amines>ether
- One functional group is treated as main group.
- Other functional group (treated as substituent according to preference)
PREFIX USED FOR SECONDARY FUNCTIONAL GROUP