When the reaction occurs, attacking agent attacks and the product is formed.
Type of attacking agents: They can be
- Free radical : With unpaired electron
- Nucleophile: With extra electrons. They also act as Lewis base and does Nucleus love. They are either:
Neutral with Lone pair: H2O , NH3 , NH2 , R – O – H , R – O - R
Negatively Charged: CN- , X- , OH-
- Electrophile: With Positive charge has less electrons and act as Lewis acids. They are either :
Neutral: BF3 , BCl3 , AlCl3 etc .
Positively charged: NH4+ , NO2+ , H3 O+ etc .
Types of organic reactions
The organic reactions are of basic 4 types as explained:
- Substitution reaction: A reaction is which atom or group of atoms are substituted by other atom.
- Addition Reaction: In this multiple bond gets converted to single bond due to addition of some atoms.
- Elimination reaction: It is the reaction in which a small molecule is released. It mostly occurs in presence of alcoholic KOH. It is of different types but most common type is Beta – elimination.
- Rearrangement: In this the isomers are formed.