Similarity of lithium with magnesium
- Lithium and magnesium have similar atomic and ionic radii and hence exhibit similar properties.
Li = 152 pm,
Mg = 160 pm;
Li+ = 76 pm,
Mg2+= 72 pm.
- Both the elements are harder and lighter than the other elements.
- Both of them react slowly with
- The oxides and hydroxides of both the elements are less soluble.
- The hydroxides of both the elements decompose on heating.
- Both the elements form nitrides by combining directly with nitrogen.
6 Li+ N2 (g) = 2 Li3N
3 Mg(s) + N2 (g) = Mg3N2(s)
- Both Li2O and MgO do not produce their superoxide by combining with excess oxygen.
- Chlorides of both lithium (LiCl) and magnesium (MgCl2) are soluble in ethanol, are deliquescent and crystallize as hydrates.