Physical Properties of alkali metals
- Alkali metals appears silvery white, soft and.
- They have low density due to their large size which goes on increasingdown the group.
- The melting and boiling point of the alkali metals are low.
- This shows that they have weak metallic bonding.
- There is a weak bonding due to thepresence of only a single valence electron.
- These metals impart colour when exposed to oxidizing flame due to the excitation of the outermost electron to a higher energy level and then return to their ground state by emitting radiation.