- The chemical name of washing soda is Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO310H2O).
- It is a whitecrystalline solid existing as dehydrate (Na2CO310H2O).
- On application of heat decahydrate loses water of crystallizationand form monohydrate which becomes completely anhydrous at a temperature above 373K and forms white powder called soda ash.
Na2CO3.10H2O --> Na2CO3.H2O + 9H2O
(Sodium carbonate decahydrate)
Na2CO3.H2O ---> Na2CO3 + H2O
(Sodium carbonate monohydrate)
- It is used for softening of water, laundering, cleaning, manufacture of glass,soap, borax, paper, paints and textile
- It is also extensively used as laboratory reagent.