- The chemical name of caustic soda is Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH).
- It is a white, translucent solid that melts at 591 K.
- It readily dissolves in water and gives a strong alkaline solution.
- The crystals of sodium hydroxide are deliquescent.
- It reacts with CO2 in the atmosphere to form Na2CO3.
2NaOH + CO2 --> Na2CO3 + H2O
- It is used in manufacturing of soap,paper, pure fats and oils and artificial silk.
- A wide variety of chemicals are produced using NaOH.
- It is also used in the refining of petroleum and purification of bauxite.
It is also used to manufacture laboratory reagent