- The chemical name of baking soda is Sodium Hydrogencarbonate (NaHCO3).
- It exists as a white crystalline powder.
- It is used in baking industry because on application of heat it decomposes and produces bubbles of carbon dioxide thereby making cakes or pastries light and fluffy.
- It is also used as a mildantiseptic to treat skin infections.
- It is also used in fire extinguishers
- It is prepared by saturating with ammonia and passing CO2 into the liquid.
Nacl + H2O + CO2 + NH3 --> NH4Cl + NaHCO3
Ammonium Chloride Sodium hydrogen carbonate
Sodium Hydrogencarbonate is lesssoluble and hence separates out.