Ionization Enthalpy of alkaline earth metal
- Ionization energy is the quantity of energy required to remove loosely bound electron from an atom.
- They have low ionization enthalpies due to fairly large size of the atoms.
- Ionization enthalpy decreases with the increase in atomic size down the group.
- The first ionization enthalpy of these metals is higher than corresponding alkali metals due to the small size of these elements compared to the corresponding alkali metals.
- The second ionization enthalpy of these metals is lower than corresponding alkali metals.