- The chemical name of Quick Lime is Calcium Oxide (CaO).
- It is a white amorphous solid.
- The melting point of CaO is 2870 K.
- It absorbs moisture and carbon dioxide when exposed to atmosphere.
- It is used in manufacturing industry to manufacture cement, dye stuffs and sodium carbonate.
- It is also used for the purification of sugar.
- It is prepared byheating limestone (CaCO3) in a kiln at a temperature of 1070-1270 K.
CaCO3 <--> CaO + CO2
- Addition of water to CaO results in slaking of lime.
- Slaking of Quick lime with sodaresults solid soda lime.
- CaO being a basic oxide combines with acidic oxides at high
CaO + SiO2 --> CaSiO3
6CaO + P4O10 --> 2Ca3 (PO4)2