Specific Heat Capacity of water
- Consider water as solid,so it will have ‘N’ number of atoms.
- Therefore for each atom average energy =3kBT
- No of molecules in H2O= 3 atoms.
- Total internal energy U=3kBTx3xNA =9RT.
Conclusion on Specific heat
- According to classical mechanics, the specific heat which is calculated based on degree of freedom should be independent of temperature.
- However T->0,degree of freedom becomes inefficient.
- This shows classical mechanics is not enough; as a result quantum mechanics came into play.
- According to quantum mechanics minimum non-zero energy is required for degree of freedom to come into play.
- Specific heats of all substances approach zero as T->0.