- Fluids can be defined as any substance which is capable of flowing.
- They don’t have any shape of their own.
- For example:-water which does not have its own shape but it takes the shape of the container in which it is poured.
But when we pour water in a tumbler it takes the shape of the tumbler
- Both liquids and gases can be categorised as fluids as they are capable of flowing.
- Volume of solids,liquids and gas depends on the stress or pressure acting on it.
- In this chapter we will study if we apply force on the fluid how does it affects the internal properties of fluids.
- Fluids offer very little resistance to shear stress.
- We will also study some characteristic properties of fluids.