Types of Strain: Longitudinal Strain
- Change in length to the original length of the body due to the longitudinal stress.
- If we apply longitudinal stress to a body either the body elongates or it compresses this change along the length of the body. This change in length is measured by Longitudinal Strain.
- Longitudinal Strain = ΔL/L
- Consider a rod whose initial length is L after elongation length becomes L’.
- So the change in length is ΔL= L’ – L
- So Strain= ΔL/L
- Strain occurs as a result of stress.