Number of species on earth and in India
- The total number of plant and animal species described so far is slightly more than 1.5 million.
- Robert May places the global species diversity at about 7 million.
- More than 70 per cent of all the species recorded are animals, while plants including algae, fungi, bryophytes, gymnosperms and angiosperms comprise no more than 22 per cent of the total.
- Among animals, insects are the most species-rich taxonomic group, making up more than 70 per cent of the total.
- India has only 2.4 per cent of the world’s land area, its share of the global species diversity is an impressive 8.1 per cent and that is how makes India is one of the 12 mega diversity countries of the world.
- Nearly 45,000 species of plants and twice as many of animals have been recorded from India.
Fig. algae, fungi, bryophytes