- Bee keeping can also be termed as apiculture
- The maintenance of hives of honey bees for the production of honey is called bee keeping.
- Honey produced by honey bees has high nutritive value.
- Honey bee also produces bee wax which is widely used in the preparation of cosmetics and polishes of various kinds.
- There are species of honey bees which can be reared and the most common species is
Benefits of honey bees-
- Bees are pollinators of many crop species such as Sunflower. Brassica, Apple and Pear.
- Keeping of bee hives increase pollination in crop fields and improve yield.
- Honey bees are beneficial for crop yield and honey yield.
Requirements for successful bee keeping
- Knowledge of the nature and habits of honey bees.
- Selection of suitable location for keeping the bee hives.
- Catching and hiving of swarms.
- Management of beehives during different seasons.
- Handling and collection of honey and bees wax.
Fig. bee keeping