- The method of growing a plant cell, tissue or an organ in an artificial nutrient medium under aseptic conditions provided with controlled conditions of light and temperature.
- Whole plant can be generated from an explant.
- Explant is any part of plant like cell, tissue or organ grown in a test tube containing artificial nutrient medium under sterile condition.
- Totipotencyis the capacity of a plant cell to multiply and regenerate into a new plant.
- The nutrient medium provides a carbon source such as sucrose, inorganic salts vitamins, amino acids and growth regulators like auxin, gibberellins and cytokinins.
- The cells of explant start dividing in the medium and gives undifferentiated mass of tissue called
- The callus later gives rose to embryoids called somatic embryoids which generate into new plants.
- The method of production of thousands of plants through tissue culture is called micro propagation.
- Plants grown by micro propagation are genetically identical called soma clones, because they are produced by somatic cells.
Importance of tissue culture-
- Large number of plants from small or single cell can be produced in short duration.
- Many important plants like tomato, appleand banana have been developed by tissue culture.
- Production of disease free varieties through meristem culture.
Fig. tissue culture