Somatic cell hybridization
- The process of fusing the protoplast of two cells of desirable plants to obtain a hybrid protoplast.
- In somatic cell hybridization.
- Cells are isolated from two desirable plants.
- Digestion of cell walls of the cells.
- Protoplasts of two desirable plants with desirable characters are fused to form hybrid protoplast.
- The hybrid protoplast can be further grown into a new plant.
Example- production of plant like pomato from potato and tomato.
Fig. somatic hybridization