- Deforestation is the conversion of forested areas to non-forested ones..
- Causes of deforestation
- Slash and burn jhum cultivation.
- Famers cut down the trees of the forest and burn the plant remains.
- Ash is used as fertilizer.
- Land is used for farming or cattle grazing,
- If land is left uncultivated for several years replenishment of minerals occur.
- Enhanced carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere.
- Loss of biodiversity.
- Disturbs hydrologic cycle
- Soil erosion
- Desertification in extreme cases.
- Reforestation is the process of restoring a forest that once existed but was removed at some point of time.
- The Government of India has recently instituted the Amrita Devi Bishnoi Wildlife Protection Award.
- Government of India has introduced the concept of Joint Forest Management (JFM) so as to work closely with the local communities for protecting and managing forests.
- Chipko movement was started by local women of Garhwal Himalayas to protect trees.
Fig. deforestation and Fig. reforestation