- Caused by Salmonella typhi.
- Affects small intestine and then migrates to other parts of the body through blood.
- Transmitted by contaminated food and water.
- Symptoms- Sustained high fever (39° to 40°C), weakness, stomach pain, constipation, headache and loss of appetite, intestinal perforation and death may occur in severe cases.
- Typhoid fever is confirmed by Widal test.
fig. Salmonella typhi
- Caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae and
- Affects alveoli of lungs.
- Transmitted by dropelts released by infected person, sharing glasses and utensils.
- Common symptoms are fever, chills, cough and headache and in severe cases lips and finger nails turn gray to bluish colour.
fig. Streptococcus pneumonia