CHROMOSOMAL THEORY OF INHERITANCE
- Mendel published his work on inheritance of characters in 1865 but was unrecognized till 1900.
- In 1900, de Vries, Correns and von Tschermak worked independently and rediscovered Mendel’s results.
- In 1902, Walter Sutton and Theodore Boveri studied the chromosomal movement during meiosis.
- According to this theory,
- Genes are located at specific locations on the chromosomes.
- Chromosomes as well as gene both occur in pairs.
- Homologous chromosomes separate during meiosis.
- Fertilization restores chromosome number to diploid condition.
- Chromosomes segregate as well as assort independently.
Pic shows Meiosis and Germ cell formation in a cell with four chromosomes.