Methods of preparation
There are different methods for their preparation
- Common Methods for both aldehyde and ketones
- Preparation for Only aldehydes
- Preparation for Only Ketones
1. From alcohols
- Oxidation of alcohols: It is prepared from oxidation of alcohols using Oxidising agents like K2Cr2O7 , Na2Cr2O7 , PCC , collins reagent (Cro3 + pyridine). All of them are good oxidising agents. So, we need to poison in order to stop it at aldehydic stage.
(From tertiary alcohol ) : We can’t get aldehyde from tertiary alcihols as there is no alpha hydrogen present. So ,in this case we get alkene.
- If we have cyclohex – 2 ene –1ol
b.Dehydrogenation of alcohols – Cu (573k)
- FORM CARBOXYLIC ACIDS
- Distillation of calcium salts of acids
- By acid hydration of alkynes