Physical properties of aldehydes and ketones :
- Lower members have unpleasent smell and up to 11 members they are liquids.
- Solubility : Aldehydes are more polar in nature.As we know, in ketones two alkyl groups are present. So, if electron density on carbon increases, the polarity of bond decreases, due to +I effect .
Therefore, solubililty of aldehyde is more as they have more tendency to form hydrogen bonds .As number of carbon atoms increase, the solubility decrease because of non polar nature .
- Boiling points : Boiling point is always more for polar compounds .
- ketones have higher boiling points than aldehyde because of more polarity .
- Their boiling point is always lower than alcohols and carboxylic acids because they are less polar then them .
- In aldehydes and ketones, dipole dipole interactions are comparitively less .