Importance of Chemistry in our daily life: Medicines
- A drug is a chemical agent, which affects human metabolism and provides cure from ailment.
- Or Drugs are chemicals which interact with macromolecular targets and produce a biological response.
- Drugs will interact with macromolecules targets (where these targets are chemical compounds like proteins, lipids etc.) in order to maintain balance in the body.
- When the biological response is therapeutic and useful, these chemicals are called medicines and are used in diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases.
- Medicines are sub classification of the drugs. They produce good response and they are useful in order to diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases.
- If taken in doses higher than those recommended, most of the drugs used as medicines are potential poisons.
- Use of chemicals for treatment and cure of disease is called chemotherapy.
- The treatment of disease by chemical compound which destroy the microorganisms without attacking the tissue of the human body is known as chemotherapy.
- The compounds used are called chemotherapeutic agents.