Chemical properties of chlorine gas
- Effect on litmus: Dry chlorine gas has no effect on litmus but the moist chlorine do have the effect, as it turns blue litmus red due to formation of HCl.
- Reaction with metals and non metals: It reacts with metals and non metals to form respective chlorides that is given below:
- It has great affinity for hydrogen to form HCl
H2 +Cl2 ---> 2HCl
- Reaction with ammonia
- Reaction with alkalis
- With dilute and cold sodium hydroxide
- With hot and concentrated NaOH:
With calcium hydroxide it forms bleaching powder:
- Reaction with hydrocarbons: It occurs in presence of light.
- Bleaching action of chlorine gas
It is due to nascent oxygen produced by moist chlorine:
Colored matter + [O] --> colorless matter
- Chlorine act as oxidizing agent: It is due to nascent oxygen.
- It oxidizes Fe2+ ---> Fe3+