Physical properties of group 18
- The electronic configuration for them are ns2np6
- Helium 1s 22s2
- Neon 1s2,2s2,2p6
- Argon 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p6
- xenon 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p64s23d104p64d105s25p6
- radon 1s2,2s2,2p6,3s2,3p64s23d104p64d105s25p64f145d106s26p6
2.Atomic size : : It increases down the group as every time a new shell is added as we move down. They actually have Vander wall radii.
- Ionization energy: They have highest ionization energy due to complete octet.
- 4. Electron gain Enthalpy: It is positive as they have complete octet so they have no attraction for incoming electron.
- Melting and boiling point: It is low due to weak force that exists that is Vander wall force.
Down the group size increases therefore Vander wall force also increases so as melting and boiling point increase.
- All noble gases are odorless and colorless and tasteless.
- All noble gases are sparingly soluble in water.
- All are inert gases as they have complete octet.
- All of them are monatomic.