Shape selective catalysis-Zeolites
- The reactions taking place in zeolites depend on-
- They are good shape selective catalysts due to their honey-comb like structures
- They are three dimensional network of silicates where some silicon atoms are replaced by aluminium atoms forming a Al-O-Si network.
- Zeolites are microporousaluminosilicates.
- The catalytic reaction which depends upon the pore structure of the catalyst and the size of the reactant and product molecules is called shape-selective catalysis
- The size and shape of the reactants and product molecules
- The pores and cavities of the zeolites
- Widely used as catalysts in the petrochemical industry for cracking of hydrocarbons and isomerisation
- Eg: ZSM-5 is used in converting alcohols directly to gasoline(petrol) by dehydrating them