Electric charge is the physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field.
- Electromagnetism is the phenomenon of the interaction of electric currents or fields and magnetic fields.
- When insulating surfaces are rubbed against each other, a static charge is developed which gets discharged after getting in contact with a conductor.
- Only one of the two charges(or polarity) gets developed on rubbing – either positive or negative. An object becomes positively charged when it loses the loosely bound electrons to another object while rubbing. The other object gains electrons and becomes negatively charged.
- When like charges are brought near, they repel each other. Unlike charges attract each other.
- The charges get neutralized when the two bodies are brought in contact.
- An example of electric charge generation through rubbing of glass rod with silk and plastic rod with silk is mentioned below: