|Class 12 Physics Nuclei
||Composition of Nucleus
Composition of Nucleus
- Nucleus consists of protons and neutrons.
- Protons are positively charged particles which are present inside the nucleus and neutrons are neutral as they don’t have any charge.
- Atomic number: -
- Atomic number constitutes the total number of protons which are present in the nucleus of that atom.
- It is denoted by ‘Z’.
- Atomic mass:-
- Atomic mass is the total number of neutrons and protons which are present inside the nucleus.
- Mass of electrons is not considered while calculating the mass of the atom and only the mass of neutrons and protons are considered;
- Since the electrons are the lightest particles their mass is not considered.
- It is also known as Mass Number.
- It is denoted by ‘A’.
- Nucleons --> Protons + Neutrons
- General representation of the element: -(AZX) where A = atomicmass and Z = atomic number.
- For example:- Hydrogen 11H where atomic number=1 and mass number =1
- Oxygen168O where atomic number=8 and mass number =16(8 protons and 8 neutrons).
Share these Notes with your friends
You can check our 5-step learning process