GROUNDWATER AS AN IMPORTANT SOURCE OF WATER
- The upper level of water in the soil is called water table.
- Water table varies from place to place.
- Water found below the water table is called groundwater.
- When rain water and water from rivers and ponds seeps through soil and fills the empty spaces and cracks deep below the ground, this is called infiltration.
- There are some places where ground water is stored between the layers of hard rock below the water table, it is known as aquifer. This water can be pumped out using handpumps or tube wells.
Pic shows how ground water is recharged and used.