Addition of Mixed Fractions
There are two methods of adding mixed fractions.
- Mixed fractions are converted into improper fractions.
- Now, the fractions are added depending on the fact whether the fractions are like or unlike.
- In case the improper fractions are like, the denominator is retained and the numerators are added.
- In case the improper fractions are unlike, first they are converted into equivalent fractions with common denominator.
- Then, the common denominator is retained and the numerators are added.
- Whole parts are added separately.
- Fractional parts are added separately.
- Then both these parts are added together to get the final answer.
Problem : Solve 4 2/3 + 3 1/4
First lets convert mixed fraction to improper fractions
Problem: Naina was given 1 ½ piece of cake and Najma was given 1 1/3 piece of cake. Find the total amount of cake given to both of them