Characteristics of forest
- Plants release oxygen by photosynthesis to provide for animal respiration.
- Plants also maintain balance of oxygen and carbon di oxide in the atmosphere and so forests are called as green lungs.
- Trees take water from soil and release water vapor in to the air through evaporation.
- People of different tribes live in the forest and depend on forests for food, shelter, water and medicines.
Fig. Forest people
- The dense bushes and the tall grasses provide animals of the forests with food, shelter and from carnivores.
- The animals in the forest disperse the seeds of certain plants and help in the regeneration of plants.
- When it rains in the forest, the raindrops drip slowly over branches of the shrubs and herbs
- Water do not stagnate in the forest and forest is a natural absorber of rain water which allows the rain water to seep and thus maintains the water table.
- Forests absorb the noise of nearby highways and keep the surrounding areas cool because of heavy rainfall they receive.