Magnetic Effects of Current
When an electric current passes through a wire, it behaves like a magnet. This magnetic effect of electric current is known as electromagnetic effect.
- Hans Christian Oersted (1777-1851) discovered magnetic effect of current in 1820.
- A compass is a watch like instrument which shows direction using the magnetic field produced inside the earth.
- The compass needle is a tiny magnet which always point in North-South
- If a compass is brought near a magnetor a circuit carrying current, the needle gets deflected due to magnetic field produced by both of them.
- If the direction of current is reversed, the magnetic field also gets reversed.