Nitrogen cycle is all about the movement of nitrogen between various elements on Earth (like air, soil, living organisms etc.) The amount of nitrogen in the atmosphere remains constant.
- Atmosphere has approx. 78% nitrogen.
- Atmospheric Nitrogen is fixed into the soil
- N2 fixing microbes convert atm. N2 into nitrogen compounds like NH3
- Plants utilize nitrogen from soil through their roots
- Animals utilize nitrogen, feeding on plants
- When Plants & animals die, Nitrogenous wastes are returned to soil
- Decomposers convert some part to nitrogen compounds to be used by plants
- Denitrifying bacteria convert into atm. N2