Lightning is caused due to static charges. So, before we understand lightning, let us understand about electric charges.
- Electric changes at rest(without motion) is referred to as Static Electricity.
- There are 2 types of static charges : Positive (+) and Negative (-)
- Static charges are produced by the friction between two interacting bodies (See examples below)
- Static electric charges exert a force on each other. This force could be attractive or repulsive depending on the charge
- Two like charges repel each other.
- Unlike charges attract each other