Crop variety improvement
Crop variety can be improved by utilizing following methods:
- Finding a good yield crop
- Hybridization: The process of interbreeding between geneticallydivergent plants.
- Introducing a gene to genetically modify the crops by providing desired characteristics to the crops.
- Good quality seeds must be provided to the farmers.
- Taking care to prevent the biotic factors(diseases, insects and nematodes) andabiotic factors (drought, salinity, waterlogging, heat, cold and frost) that can affect the crop growth.
- Shorter maturity of the crops results in more economical variety.
- Attempts must be taken to ensure higher yield.