The act of raising domestic fowls to ensure the production of adequate number of egg, chicken and meat is called poultry farming.
The cross-breeding programmes are performed between Indian and foreign breeds to develop new varieties having some required desirable characteristics.
Poultry farming takes care of following agendas:
- To ensure well-illuminated and well-ventilated shelter for the fowls.
- Ensure that the domestic fowls are kept under proper temperature andhygiene.
- They get nutritious food.
- Prevent the chances of poultry fowl suffering from a number ofdiseases caused by virus, bacteria, fungi,parasites and nutritionaldeficiencies.
The desirable characteristics are as follows:
- Increased number of chicks.
- Good quality chicken who are capable to tolerate high temperature.
- To develop breeds with Low maintenance requirements.
- Reduced size of the egg-layingbird with the ability to utilize morefibrous cheaper diets made out of agricultural by-products.
- Broiler chickens are given vitamin-rich (vitamins A and K) food to ensure proper growth rate andbetter feed efficiency.