Steps to Locate √3 on number line.
- Draw line AD of length 1 cm
- Draw line BD of length 1 cm, perpendicular to AD
- Join AB to get a line of length √2. AB will be of length √2, as per Pythagoras theorem on Right Triangle ABD, right angled at D, as shown in image above.
- Once we have length √2 defined (AB), we have to draw line BC of length 1 cm, perpendicular to AB. This is done to plot √3 on paper.
- Now join AC to get a line of length √3. AC will be of length √3, as per Pythagoras theorem on Right Triangle ABC, right angled at B, as shown in image below.
- Once we have length √3 defined (AC), we can plot it on number line using a compass. Adjust the compass, to keep the Metal point or Needle on point A & Pencil point to Point C. Once √3 distance is measured in the compass, you can now rotate the compass to plot the point on the number line.